DS Environmental provides a full spectrum of mold consulting services:
- Complete Building Inspection
- Indoor Air Quality Sampling
- Remediation Services
- HVAC Inspection
- Remediation Protocol and Design
- Remediation Over-site
- Post Abatement Clearance Sampling
Mold is everywhere, all of the time, and in most cases mold is harmless. But, many molds produce spores that trigger allergic responses, and recent studies have confirmed that some species of molds produce mycotoxins, which can cause numerous other health problems, many of which can be serious. Mold contamination in homes and buildings is becoming a growing concern for homeowners and tenants, commercial property owners and managers, workers and employers, and even insurance companies and attorneys.
In order for mold to grow and thrive it needs oxygen, a food source, and moisture. Moisture is often the easiest of the three culprits to eliminate, but its source is not always obvious. It can require field personnel experienced in building construction to locate the source of moisture and determine the extent of contamination so that it can be remediated.
When to Test For Mold?
- After an event such as a leak, water damage, or sewage back up it is important to ensure that water has not been trapped under floor boards, tiles, or behind walls, as those are prime conditions for mold growth in hard to see areas
- When mold is visibly present or when a musty or foul odor is present
- When people or pets are experiencing allergy-like symptoms
- Before purchasing, renting, or selling a structure or property
Health Risks of Mold
Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Individuals who are allergic to mold as well as those who are not allergic can experience negative reactions when exposed to mold or mold spores.
Some responses to mold exposure include:
- Hay fever symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, and skin rash
- Asthma attacks (in people with asthma who are also allergic to mold)
- Irritated eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs
- In some cases, lung illnesses and lung infections
Contact DS Environmental!
DS Environmental provides technical assistance to identify the potential locations of mold through assessments and sampling that confirm the presence and type of mold. Until the source of moisture is removed and the contaminated area is remediated, mold growth will reoccur. Our mold inspectors are experienced in investigating and sampling for mold contamination and resolving mold issues. DS Environmental also provides protocols for professional remediation and oversight of the professional remediation contractor. At the end of a project, DS Environmental performs clearance sampling and final documentation to confirm that the remediation was completed thoroughly and properly.
Call us at (303) 286-9094 for testing and guidance!