DS Environmental provides a full spectrum of contaminated soil consulting and testing services:
- Inspections, Sampling, Assessments
- Final Clearances
- Project Design
- Project Management
- Abatement Over-site
- OSHA Personal Monitoring
- Area Monitoring
What is Contaminated Soil?
Contaminated Soil is caused by the addition of xenobiotic (human-made) chemicals or other alternations to the natural soil environment. The introduction of human-made chemicals into the soil may occur due to purposeful introduction of a material, improper disposal of waste, an accidental spill, or a leak or malfunction in a machine/pipe, among other reasons. Contaminated soil poses significant risks to human and environmental health, and it is important to address the issue promptly before the contamination spreads.
When to Test for Soil Contamination?
There are several known main causes of soil contamination, and it is important to be aware of what they are so that proper testing can take place when necessary.
The main causes of soil contamination include:
- Industrial activity, especially mining and manufacturing
- Past usage of asbestos containing materials
- Agricultural activities, especially the application of pesticides and fertilizers
- Waste disposal, especially the improper management of landfills
- Accidental oil spills, especially during storage or transport of chemicals
- Acid rain, which is caused when pollutants present in the air mix with the rain and are deposited onto the ground
Health Risks of Soil Contamination
Soil contamination poses a risk to human, animal, and environmental health
- Human health impacts such as congenital illnesses and chronic health problems
- A decrease in soil fertility and thus a decrease in yield
- A disruption of the balance of soil for all flora and fauna living on the land
- The creation of toxic dust
- A disruption in soil structure
- Health problems for predatory animals who feed on organisms in the soil
- Vegetation that does manage to grow in contaminated soil can become poisonous for any animal or human that might consume it
DS Environmental personnel have performed site investigations and sampling, written work plans, and performed project oversight and air monitoring for regulatory compliance on these projects/clients:
- General Services Administration (GSA) – IA10S – Mounds Removal Project, IA10N Equipment Staging Areas, Southern RTD Expansion, Agriculture Ditch, the IA04D project, and Downing Reservoir remediation
- Colorado Department of Corrections –Developed former landfill for installation of photovoltaic solar farm
- US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) – Fall 2012 – Building demolition and asbestos in soil remediation at the former Fitzsimmons Army Campus in Aurora, CO, for construction of new VA Medical Hospital in Aurora
- Conoco Phillips – DS Enviornmental was the environmental consulting firm overseeing the excavation and abatement of an asbestos-wrapped gas line and adjacent asbestos-contaminated soil at the former Stapleton Airport
- Lowry Redevelopment Authority/IRG – Site characterization and remediation of asbestos, TPHs, VOC and SVOC contamination across 20 acres at the former Lowry Air Force Base
- CCOD Deptartment of Aviation– Fileing 18 Asbestos Remediation Projects at the former Stapleton Airport in Denver
- Anschutz Medical Campus – Contaminated soil remediation for construction of the new Health and Wellness Center, the new pharmacy building, and Breckenridge parking lot
- City of Lakewood/Green Mountain Water – Soil characterization and project oversight for sanitary sewer construction and utility improvement projects at the Denver Federal Center
- Centura Health – Sampling, soil remediation and waste management of historical landfill for construction of the new St. Anthony West Hospital and the Lakewood Medical Office Building
- University of Colorado at Denver (UCD) – Cleanup of heavy metals, asbestos, and coal ash for new Science Building construction and utility upgrades at Auraria Campus in Denver, CO
- Walsh Environmental/Adolph & Petersen Construction – DS Environmental was a subcontractor on the 135-acre, River Point at Sheridan, Brownfields redevelopment project in Englewood, CO providing oversight and air monitoring services during remediation of historical landfills along the South Platte River
- US National Parks Service – Cleanup of a tanker spill involving regulated petroleum compounds on public lands
Contact DS Environmental!
DS Environmental’s technical team offers more than 60 years of combined experience working on contaminated soil projects in Colorado alone. Since the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) began regulating asbestos in soil in 2006, DS Environmental has worked on some of the largest asbestos-in-soil remediation projects in the state.
Because of our experience with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and Voluntary Clean-up Program (VCUP) projects, the DS Environmental team offers an unsurpassed understanding of EPA and CDPHE requirements and the logistics of working on contaminated-soil projects in Colorado’s extreme weather conditions. DS Environmental helps to control costs for property owners through a combination of proper staff utilization and careful planning and foresight. Our tested procedures and methodologies ensure a carefully measured project approach, further strengthened by important lessons learned that are unique to DS Environmental’s long and successful history with complex projects and demanding clientele.
Call us at (303) 286-9094 for testing and guidance!